Saturday, April 16, 2011

Estella - Los Arcos 21km/12miles 5Apr2011

  español abajo


We had leftover wine from dinner, so of course I had to take a bottle with me to have when we got to Los Arcos.  As we were leaving Estella, we passed Bodegas Irache (the same wine in my back pack) who has two outdoor fountains for the pilgrims:  wine and water.  I wonder which one gets used the most.....? Ha ha ha!  Today was an easier day, fewer kilometers and not as many ups and downs.  I appreciated that, as my knees were on fire, the left Achilles tendon sore, and feet shredded and bleeding from blisters.  Iñaki and I were joined by Mayra, from Mexico, and AJ from Korea. We teased Mayra for taking the whole kitchen with her.  She had salad, pasta, and all kinds of kitchen utensils with her!  AJ was a joy!  Everything was a wonder to her. I gave Iñaki the nickname "little rabbit."  He was behind us, then ahead, then off to one side looking for a café or shady spot to rest.  Aussie Scott came into our little world when the sun had about done us all in.  We fed him fruit and chocolate as he passed by, and he called us angels. I thought he was amazing for carrying the size of pack that he did!  The other guys went on ahead, but  Willem was my carrot.  I could just see him up ahead of me, taking the next curve, and that kept me going.  The albergue (Casa de Austria) in Los Arcos was fantastic!  It had two patios, a library, balcony, huge kitchen, and massage! At dinner, a little more Camino magic showed itself.  Earlier in the day, I had seen a lost water bottle and wondered if I should pick it up and bring it to the albergue; but I decided to leave it just in case.  That evening I met Ruth from Norway.  She told me that she'd had a hard day and had run out of water.  Just when she was about to give up, she came around a curve and there was that bottle I'd seen, half full of water.  It was enough to get her to Los Arcos.  What you need, the Camino gives you.

Había vino de sobra de la cena, así que claro que tuve que llevar una botella para tomar cuando llegábamos a Los Arcos.  Al dejar Estella, pasamos por Bodegas Irache (el mismo vino que estaba en mi mochila) que tiene dos fuentes para los peregrinos:  de vino y de agua.  ¿Me pregunto cuál se usa más....?  ¡Ja ja ja!  Hoy era más fácil, menos kilómetros y no tantas subidas y bajadas.  Lo apreciaba, puesto que las rodillas me estaban ardiendo, el tendón de Aquiles me dolía y los pies hechos trizas y sangrando de las ampollas.  Iñaki y yo nos jutamos con Mayra, de México y AJ, de Corea del Sur.  Burlamos de Mayra por llevar casi toda la cocina. ¡Llevaba ensalada, pasta y muchos utensilios de cocina!  ¡AJ era una alegría!  Todo le encantaba.  Le di a Iñaki el apodo de "conejito."  Estaba detrás de nosotros, y luego en frente o a un lado, buscándonos una cafetería o un poco de sombra para descansar.  Scott de Australia entró en nuestro mundo cuando el sol casi nos iba a matar. Le dimos fruta y chocolate cuando nos pasó y nos llamaba sus ángeles.  ¡Yo pensaba que era increíble por el tamaño de mochila que llevaba!  Los otros hombres seguían delante, pero Willem era mi zanahoria.  Lo podía ver justo en frente de mí, girando la próxima curva, y eso me daba el esfuerzo para seguir adelante.  El albergue (Casa de Austria) en Los Arcos ¡era fantástico!  Tenía dos patios, una biblioteca, un balcón y una cocina enorme, ¡y masages¡ En la cena, un poco más del mágico del Camino se reveló.  Antes, yo había visto una botella de agua perdida y me preguntaba si debía recogerla y llevarla al albergue; pero decidí dejarla por si acaso.  Esa noche, conocí a Ruth de Noruega que me dijo que había tenido un día duro y que se agotó su agua.  Justamente cuando iba a dar por vencida, giró la próxima curva y allí estaba la botella que yo había visto, media llena de agua.  Era suficiente para que pudiera llegar a Los Arcos.  Lo que necesitas, el Camino te da.
Leaving Estella/Dejando Estella
   


The famous wine and water fountain/La fuente famosa del vino y del agua




Carrying Mayra´s kitchen/Llevando a la cocina de Mayra

¡Buen camino!


They got even worse!/¡Se empeoraron aún más!





Willem, Scott, Goran

One of the patios at Casa de Austria/Uno de los patios en la Casa de Austria

Casa de Austria

Matthieu, Iñaki

No comments:

Post a Comment