Saturday, April 16, 2011

Los Arcos - Logroño 22km/13miles 6Apr2011

 español abajo

I wasn't sure if I was going to make it today.  My Achilles tendon nearly hobbled me getting out of bed.  I could hardly stand to have my shoe on, but I took Iñaki's stick and walked very slowly until I warmed up.  It was also an extremely emotional day because it was my last day on the Camino (for now).  These guys have quietly wrapped themselves around my heart and won't let go:  Iñaki, my little rabbit; Willem, my gentle giant; Matthieu, tranquil and constant; sweet and hilarious Scott; and deeply intense Jacques.  They have all been so open in their affection for me and others, giving everything they can give and receiving in kind with deep appreciation.  I am humbled by them.

The day was once again cool in the morning, hot in the afternoon.  My pain was much less as the day went on and we got a huge lift from the Casa de Austria.  They showed up about halfway to Logroño with sandwiches and wine in the back of their car!  They were looking for everyone who had stayed there the night before, just to give us that extra push!  That was so cool!  Logroño was the end for me and for Matthieu, who had to go back to Valencia the next day.  I left them at the albergue, dropped of AJ to meet her friend, and went to Diego and María José´s to shower before meeting everyone at the famous Laurel Street for tapas - one last time.  :-(
It was fabulous to see Scott enjoying all the food.  It was his first time in Spain and he was loving it!  We stood outside at this little bar and when we thought we couldn't eat anymore, someone would come out with even more plates and glasses of wine!  I wanted to spend hours there, but they had to get some sleep, so we tried to make the goodbye as short and as painless as possible.  It was short, but it was excruciating.  I cried like I hadn't in a long time.  I absolutely did not want to leave them.  Afterwards, I sat on a bench and cried some more. I'm still crying as I write this 10 days later.  It's amazing.   The Camino breaks you down, and then rebuilds you with the family that you create there.

No estaba segura si iba a poder a continuar hoy.  El tendón de Aquiles casi me cojeaba cuando me bajé de la cama.  Apenas soportaba tener la bota puesta, pero cogí al bastón de Iñaki y andaba muy lentamente hasta que me calentara.  Era una día muy emociante porque era mi último día en el Camino (por ahora).  Estos hombres silenciosamente le estrecharon mi corazón y no lo sueltan:  Iñaki, mi conejito; Willem mi gigante tierno; Matthieu, tranquilo y constante; Scott, dulce y divertido; y Jacques, profundamente intenso.  Han estado tan abiertamente cariñosos conmigo y con otros, dando todo lo que pueden dar y recibiendo en la misma manera con agradecimiento profundo. Me humillan.

Otra vez, hacía fresco por la mañana y calor por la tarde.  Todo me dolía menos pasando el día y nos subió la moral la Casa de Austria.  ¡Acudieron a mitad de Camino con bocadillos y vino en el maletero del coche! ¡Estaban buscando a todos que habíamos dormido allí la noche anterior, simplemente para darnos una empuja extra! ¡Qué guay!  Logroñó era el fin para mí y para Matthieu, quien tenía que volver a Valencia el día siguiente.  Les dejé en el albergue, dejé a AJ en una plaza para que pudiera quedar con una amiga y me fui a la casa de Diego y María José para ducharme antes de quedar con todos en la famosa calle Laurel para comer tapas - una vez más   :-(
Era fabuloso ver a Scott disfrutando de toda la comida. Era su primera vez en España y ¡le estaba encantando!  Estábamos fuera de un bar pequeño y cuando pensábamos que no podíamos comer más, ¡alguien saldría con aún más tapas y copas de vino!  Yo quería pasar horas allí, pero tuvieron que dormir, así que intentamos a despedirnos en la manera mas rápida y menos dolorosa que posible.  La despedida era corta, pero insoportable.  No había llorado así desde hacía mucho tiempo.  Absolutamente no quería dejarlos.  Después, me senté en un banco y lloré aún más.  Todavía estoy llorando mientras escribo esto 10 días después.  Es alucinante.  El Camino te rompe todo y te reconstruye con la familia que creas allí.
 
That´s me/Soy yo


Sandwiches and wine from the trunk/Bocadillos y vino del maletero





The hosts from Casa de Austria/Los hospitaleros de la Casa de Austria


Almost there!/¡Casi estamos!





¡Tapas!





Matthieu, Karina, Iñaki

Iñaki, Karina




Karina, Willem




The stamped credential/La credencial sellado

1 comment:

  1. Great pics, Karen. So glad you had a good time, punched through that injury, and made it back in one piece. Let's do a game again!

    ReplyDelete